Swedish relaxation massage is the most common and best-known type of massage. It involves long, fluid strokes of the muscles and tissue with pressure that varies from light to firm. This type of massage is one of the most relaxing styles.
The use of hands, forearms or elbows to manipulate the superficial layers of the muscles improves both mental and physical health. Active or passive movement of the joints may also be part of the massage. The benefits of Swedish massage include increased blood circulation, mental and physical relaxation, decreased stress and muscle tension, and improved range of motion.
Other physical benefits include:
- Loosening of tight muscles and stretching connective tissues.
- Relieving cramps and muscle spasms and decreasing muscle fatigue.
- Increased muscle strength.
- Calming of the nervous system.
- Firms up muscle and skin tone.
- Helps relieve symptoms of such disorders as asthma, arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, chronic and acute pain syndromes, myofascial pain, and headache.
Mental and Emotional Benefits:
- Mental relaxation.
- Improvement of quality of sleep.
- Help relieve feeling of stress, depression and anxiety.
- Increases ability to concentrate.
- Overall improved sense of well-being.